Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Comments on Jean' amazing website

Hi Jean,

Congratulations on designing a great website!

I am so impressed by that animated tiger!

I also really like the matching exercise, with the pictures. I think that using pictures helps to activate information in the students mind.

I had a few questions about the the vocabulary exercise, which involved matching the scientific name to the known name of an animal. I wonder how relevant that information will be for your students?

I also thought that the educational websites that you added as links were brillant! I actually created a crocodile movie at one of the websites, what fun! I did wonder whether your yr 10 students would be interested in those games? Maybe they would, because I certainly did!

You did a great job!

Have you finished all of your assignments? I have two still going, but I will hand them in this friday.

Take care Jean,

Esther

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Esther,

Thanks for your comment on my wildlife activities. I created a very simple one because of my poor technology. The aim is to build students' reading abilities through extensive reading. I intended to ask students to extract specific information by matching scientific names to the known animals. I don't know whether it is useful in fostering students' speed reading.

By the way, I have finished all the assignments except one more comment and the reflection. I will leave on Nov 9. a bit homesick. See you at TESOL unit dinner???
oh. my personal email address is jinxq615@hotmail.com. Contact me if you one day come to China.

Best wishes.

Jin

Anonymous said...

Hi Esther,

I have just visited your website finding it quite interesting and inviting. I think your website is a perfect site to learn your culture especially for all the international students including me. If your students are EFL/ESL learners or refugees ( I guess so because I know you are eager to help them), this website would be useful. They will learn a lot about these 5 major celebrations.

Apart from providing comprehensible information, you made good use of pictures. I have found there are beautiful, more importantly, relevant pictures under each heading, for example, Easter egg under "Easter", Queen's photo under Queen's Birthday, which i think is quite wonderful. Moreover, videos were utilised to increase students' motivation. Visual learners will find it quite motivating.

Hotpotato was used to create Australia Day quiz. Pity there are only 3 questions. If you had registered, you could have created more items.

I did wonder whether we were required to use hotpotato to create all the activities or not.Most activities in this website are similar to those done in the webquest. Is it ok?

I wondered whether it is better to add some links such as index and next page between these holidays so that students can go to home page or next page easily.

All the information was well organized and all the instructions were clear, easy to follow. Well done.

Jin